Skip to main content access modal is here

Our Heritage Timeline

The Wellmeadow

The Wellmeadow

Article Details

1824 The Wellmeadow


The Wellmeadow

The Wellmeadow Architecture

The Wellmeadow

The Jewel in Blairgowrie and Rattray's Crown

Popular Green Space in the Heart of Blairgowrie

It is hard to do justice in words to Blairgowrie's Wellmeadow, which provides a tranquil, triangular garden in which to sit, admire the local architecture, the trees, shrubberies and flowerbeds while escaping the hustle and bustle of our busy town.  The Wellmeadow is truly the jewel in Blairgowrie and Rattray's crown.  Enclosed by a metal fence, it is entered by four wrought iron gates with ornamental canopies, often used by photographers to frame shots of the gardens.  Back in the 19th century it was fashionable for trees to be planted in town squares, and it is believed that the first trees in the Wellmeadow were planted in 1882.  The Wellmeadow trees are splendid in each season of the year, but when they are decorated for Christmas in silvery lights they are truly magical.


A hard working group of volunteers, known as Blair in Bloom, take care of the flowerbeds and generally keep the area tidy for residents and visitors to enjoy.  In addition this award-winning group provide hanging baskets and planters throughout the town as well as maintaining many other flowerbeds, ensuring that Blairgowrie and Rattray look their best.  Their  work is very much appreciated.

For more information visit


If we delve into the town's history, we discover that the Wellmeadow was not always so pleasant and peaceful.  It is described as having originally been a boggy marshland.  Drovers passed through Blairgowrie on their way to the livestock markets in Crieff and Falkirk, and would make use of the Wellmeadow for a stop over.  It was decided that the area should be drained to provide better grazing for their cattle and sheep.

The land belonged to the Macpherson family of Newton Castle, and in 1824 the Wellmeadow was gifted to the town under certain conditions viz that it would continue to be used for markets and fairs, that it would not be used for growing crops and that it would not be built upon.


In 1893 the Macpherson Memorial Fountain was erected to honour Allan Macpherson.  It was an impressive structure, as described in this article in the Dundee Evening Telegraph on Monday 8 May 1893.

It stood in the corner of the Wellmeadow, opposite the Brig o' Blair, now the site of a colourful flowerbed. Unfortunately, the Macpherson Memorial had to be demolished following a road traffic accident in 1975.

"This structure, which has been erected by Mrs Macpherson and family in memory of the late Mr Allan Macpherson of Blairgowrie, was formally handed over to the public today by Chief Magistrate Bridie.  It has been set up in a very prominent position at the south-east corner of the Wellmeadow, opposite the bridge, and, as will be seen by the accompanying illustration, is of very elegant design, and will prove a permanent enhancement to the locality.  The base and basin are of red Aberdeenshire granite, while the superstructure is of fine red freestone from Dumfries, the whole rising to  a height of nearly 18 feet, richly ornamented with gablets, crockets, gargoyles and other architectural devices, with harmonious effect.  The upper part, which is in the form of a spire, is surmounted by a cross, which has a lightning conductor attached.  Messrs Hicks and Charlewood, Newcastle-on-Tyne, are the designers and architects, and had all the different parts fully prepared before sending them on - all that was required here being the preparation of the site, piecing the sections together, and fixing up the water arrangements.  The whole work here has been superintended by Mr L. Falconer, while Mr Kidd, Blairgowrie, had the plumber work, and Messrs Westwood & Son, Perth and Dundee, the fitting up of the lightning conductor.

On the east side of the fountain from which the water flows over a shell design into the basin, the pedestal bears the following inscription:- "In memory of Allan Macpherson of Blairgowrie, who entered into rest 6th November 1891, aged 73."

On the three other sides are:- "Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;" "Not with eye service, as men pleasers, but in singleness of heart, fearing God:" "For the righteous Lord loveth righteousness - His countenance doth behold the upright."

Image of Macpherson Memorial Fountain, you can also see "The Blairgowrie Arms" in the background. 


This imposing and poignant memorial in the Wellmeadow was unveiled on Sunday 21 June 1921.  It honours the 175 men from this district who lost their lives during the Great War (1914-1918).  At the conclusion of World War II (1939-1945) more names were added, and a further two soldiers' memories were honoured by an additional bronze plaque for their services in the Korean War (1950-1953).

The memorial includes a sculpture of a Scottish soldier in a regulation trench coat and helmet, with his head bowed while resting his hands on the butt of his rifle, the tip of which rests on his boot.  The sculptor was Alexander Carrick RSA (1882-1966) one of Scotland's greatest ever monumental sculptors.

The townspeople are immensely proud of this Memorial and the soldier is affectionately referred to as Jock.

Each Remembrance Sunday poppy wreaths are laid on the monument steps in memory of all those who gave their lives.

For the names of all those honoured on the Memorial visit

For details of all those honoured read 'Blairgowrie and Rattray War Memorial: Behind the Names' by Mark Duffy (available for reference in Blairgowrie Library).

To read about Alexander Carrick visit


Whatever the Season the benches in the Wellmeadow are very enticing.  Find time to sit and admire the daffodils in Springtime, have a picnic lunch in Summer, wonder at the beauty of the Autumn colours or look up at the sparkling lights in Winter.  A sculptured metal remembrance bench faces the War Memorial, and a sculptured stone bench is to be added as a memorial to the late Sir William Macpherson.


It is said that in the past there have been up to nine wells here, but the waters have long since been fed into the town's drainage system.

Springs and wells were considered to be sacred places. Spring water was believed to have healing powers, and wells were visited in the hope of finding relief from health problems.  People would drink the water, bathe in it or simply make a wish at the well.  Some believed that their wish would be granted if money was paid.  After making the wish, coins would be dropped into the well. 


Of all the wells in the Wellmeadow St Ninian's Well is the best known.  It is said to have been the location of baptisms by St Ninian, a 4th and 5th century Christian missionary.

For more information


A Wishing Well was constructed in the Wellmeadow in 1972 by the Blairgowrie, Rattray and District Rotary Club to mark its 25th anniversary.  As well as being a reminder of the springs and wells which are part of the Wellmeadow's history, it offers visitors the opportunity to make a wish and to help fund local charities.

For a guided walk around the Wellmeadow and the history of some of the buildings go to  The Wellmeadow Architecture

Previous Page
Back to top